When I met with Shashank last week he mentioned that I needed to speak with Ralph Vacca from the Educational Communication and Technology program at NYU. He's a researcher, designer, and teacher of learning technologies, media, games, and wellness, which makes him a great ally for this project.
Ralph helped me think through a lot of aspects of the project and once again helped me narrow my focus. Here are a few main ideas we discussed:
Affect + Cognition
- What kind of kid am I addressing? Kids that are in situations like unaccompanied immigrant children are often afraid, anxious, and require that their affect me addressed rather than teaching them new material.
- How can we address core fears and also teach low amount of new information?
- You're not alone
- It's ok to be anxious
- Story of the process
- Timeline of what happens to a kid that is released to a sponsor
- The wireframes we've built out are based on high amounts of information.
- How can we bundle the information?